Who we are:
The Local Impact Alliance was formed in May of 2019 after Community Foundation of Plymouth became an affiliate of Canton Community Foundation. The Local Impact Alliance was formed to strengthen and promote organized philanthropy in the Western Wayne area, particularly through the promotion and development of local community foundations and nonprofits. The Alliance was started to educate the public on the benefits, purpose and role of the local community foundations and non profit organizations.
The Local Impact Alliance comprises three Community Foundations affiliates, Canton Community Foundation, Community Foundation Plymouth, Westland Community Foundation a Womens Giving Circle, Giving Hope, Community programs PORCH which addresses the issues of social isolation and loneliness and Future Fit a talent pipeline for local studnets and bussiness in community, nonprofit Eagles for Children which raises funds to support local children's charities which benefits disadvantaged children. The Alliance provides each affiliate with management, administrative, and development expertise and services, so every local foundation, giving circle and community program can focus on promoting philanthropy, building endowment, and making a difference in their community. Through the establishment of endowed funds created by caring donors to benefit community causes, Alliance affiliates work to improve the quality of life in their local communities by distributing a portion of the funds’ earnings to local non-profit organizations, in the form of annual scholarships and grants.
Each affiliate foundation has a volunteer Advisory Board whose role and efforts are focused on asset development, learning about the community’s charitable needs and nonprofits working to meet them, and awarding grants and scholarships.
10 Reasons to Give Locally through a Community Foundation
- Local. Each Community Foundation is a local organization with deep roots in the community.
- Broad expertise. Our staff has broad expertise regarding community issues and needs.
- Personalized service. Each community foundation provides highly personalized service tailored to each individual's charitable and financial interest.
- Invest in causes.Our funds help people invest in the causes they care about most.
- Asset Variety. We accept a wide variety of assets, and can facilitate even the most complex forms of giving.
- Professional advisors. We partner with professional advisors to create highly effective approches to charitable giving.
- Tax advantages. We offer maximum tax advantage for most gifts under federal law. Please always consult with your tax advisors on any charitable giving.
- Multiply the impact. We multiply the impact of gift dollars by pooling them with other gifts and grants.
- Expertise in endowment. We build endowment funds that benefit the community forever and help create personal legacies.
- Leadership. We are a community leader, convening agencies and coordinating resources to create positive change.
Financial & Investment Information
At Local Impact Alliance we take fiduciary responsibility seriously. LIA currently manages more than $6 million in total assets and 100+ charitable endowed funds for our community.
As a public trust, it is incumbent upon us to be good stewards of the gifts entrusted to us. Our long-term investment strategy and a sound spending policy are intended to ensure our donors’ gifts and charitable funds will continue to grow and be able to generate a consistent level of grant support each year.To ensure proper oversight of our investments, we maintain a system that oversees LIA’s investment portfolio, performance and management. This includes our Board of Trustees and Investment & Finance Committee, as well as our professional investment consultants, Schwartz & Company Investment Advisors.
Tax - Exempt Status
The Local Impact Alliance (Canton Community Foundation is the organization of record) is a tax-exempt public charity. Our federal EIN/tax identification number is 38-2898615. To view our tax exemption letter from the IRS, please read here
Audited Financial Statements
The Local Impact Alliance (Canton Community Foundation is the organization of record) annually appoints an independent auditor to conduct an audit of the combined financial statements. CCF_Financial_Statements
Our tax returns (IRS Form 990) are available for public inspection at the Local Imapct Alliance (by appointment), 50430 School House Rd., Canton, MI 48187, or you can view the Form 990 on Guidestar.
Local Impact Alliance presents a comprehensive report on Alliance's activities throughout the preceding year. Annual reports are intended to give fund holders, donors and other interested people information about the organization's activities and financial performance. 2021_Annual_Report_.